Monday, April 06, 2009

Freedom’s Source

“…to depend on the simple existence of the First Amendment to guarantee our freedom of expression is a serious mistake…” This is Howard Zinns’ opinion of the First Amendments’ assurance. I hope to develop and assert a carefully constructed opinion on this issue for myself by the end of this paper. To aid in my critical thinking process I will be looking at how the American people have allowed themselves to be desensitized to the value of our freedoms.

Zinn discusses both the Alien and Sedition Acts—laws abridging the freedom of speech passed by Congress—rather extensively in the first part of his chapter.

“The number of people jailed under the Sedition Act was not large—ten—but it is in the nature of oppressive laws that it takes just a handful of prosecutions to create an atmosphere that makes potential critics of government fearful of speaking their full minds.”

In this quote I first notice that Zinn refers to the Sedition Act as an oppressive law. I allow that I am not as well versed in such affairs as he; yet, I disagree with his chosen vocabulary. I have noticed smudging of the fine line separating freedom and treason. From what I understand of the Sedition Act, it is in the interest of prosecuting those who wrongly accuse the government—an act of treason—therefore my opinion is that such potential critics should and ought to be fearful. While the First Amendment gives us the privilege of free speech, discernment should be cultivated when exercising this freedom. I strongly believe the American public to have blinders on. We have neglected to enforce our constitutional power to govern ourselves and instead we’ve acquiesced; allowing politics and fickle opinions to govern resulting in the product being a gravely desensitized America. To quote wisdom as spoken by James Madison:

“I believe there are more instances of the abridgment of the freedom of the people by gradual and silent encroachments of those in power than by violent and sudden usurpation.”

I concur. “…the abridgment of the freedom of the people…” is in the surreptitious form of political correctness—by which America is slitting her own throat. Tolerating the exploitation of sacred freedoms such as free speech is an appalling, detrimental, weakness. It is beyond unfathomable to me why so many Americans lack respect for the words/ideas/laws written to help, not harm, their country! Where is our patriotism as a nation? If one does not agree with the governments’ dealings, it is forgivable—it is a free country. We, as the American people, ultimately still have control of this society’s destiny; let’s do something constructive (not seditious) about it! Excuse the following explicit visual, but let us not be so “open-minded” that our brains fall out!

When people are linked in common goals, in shared pursuits, in genuine patriotism, pride, and support for each other, is when those goals and pursuits are accomplished. It seems to me that it is when freedoms are wrongfully exploited that they are then taken away. People should be free to express their opinions, absolutely, but no at the expense of the nations safety or morale. Freedom isn’t free and therefore should be treated in kind. I would like to close with an inspiring, perspective filled, quote:


“It is the soldier, not the reporter, who has given us freedom of the press.

It is the soldier, not the poet, who has given us freedom of speech.

It is the soldier, not the campus organizer,
who has given us the freedom to demonstrate.

It is the solider, not the lawyer, who has given us the right to a fair trial.

It is the soldier who salutes the flag, who serves under flag,
and whose coffin is draped by the flag,
who allows the protesters to burn the flag.

Were it not for the brave, there would be no land of the free.”

- Author Unknown

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Particularly love this entry. Well done Kayla. I have read the quote before and it is well worth repeating. Your thinking processes are deep and I'm glad you continue to share your thoughts. Will study some of your more recent entries next.